This balanced starter is an impressive way to begin any dinner party or get together. It's also perfect when paired with riesling, according to media personality and sommelier in training, Kate Peck. "The sprightly acid in the wine works with the citrus in the dish; your palate will feel refreshed and alive," she says.
Recipe by cook and author Silvia Colloca
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, shaved, fronds reserved
- 2-3 baby red radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs riesling wine
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 600g sashimi-grade hiramasa kingfish, thinly sliced
- Baby red vein sorrel & orange zest, to serve
DEEP-FRIED POTATO SKINS
- 2 large desiree potatoes
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
1. Preheat oven to 220°C.
2. For the potato skins, place potatoes on an oven tray and roast for 50-55 minutes or until tender when pierced with a small knife. Remove from the oven and, taking care of the heat, halve potatoes lengthwise. Scoop out flesh and reserve for another use. Place potato skins on a wire rack and stand to cool completely.
3.Heat a medium saucepan three-quarters full with vegetable oil to 180°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 90 seconds when the oil is hot enough). In batches, deep-fry potato skins, turning frequently, for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season to taste and stand until cool. Break into small wedges when ready to serve.
4. Heat the vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat. Stir in the sugar and simmer for 1-2 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Cool completely. Transfer the liquid to a bowl with the fennel and radish and allow to pickle for at least 30 minutes.
5. To make the dressing, whisk together the wine, lemon juice, fish sauce and olive oil in a bowl. Season then set aside.
6. Arrange kingfish on a platter and dress with the riesling vinaigrette. Top with the pickled fennel and radish and garnish with fennel fronds, sorrel and orange zest. Serve immediately with deep-fried potato skins, well seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Atlantic Salmon
- Black Tiger Shrimp
- breakfast toast
- Eat Clean
- fish burgers
- Hiramasa Kingfish
- King Salmon
- New Zealand King Salmon
- Ora King
- Ora King Salmon
- Pacifico Striped Bass
- Petuna Steelhead Trout
- poisson cru
- regal salmon fillet
- Regenerative Aquaculture
- Sea Bass
- Seafood 101
- Sustainable Seafood